Monday, July 30, 2012

What's Cooking?

I've been trying to up my repertoire of recipes and find budget-friendly, healthy things for dinner. The other day, Joe was at Costco, and I told him if he got a rotisserie chicken (which can feed the 2 of us for a few dinners at $4.99!) I would make up some chicken enchiladas.

I've known enchilada recipes to be labor intensive and time consuming, but using a rotisserie chicken and modifying a recipe I found on pinterest, these delicious enchiladas only took about 30 minutes to make!

Original recipe found here: Taste of Home. I decided to omit the cilantro and tomatoes. I also substitued corn tortillas for flour ones. Result: deliciousness!
I've included the full-text of my version at the end of this post.

Rotisserie Chicken Enchiladas

What you need: 
  • 1 chilled rotisserie chicken
  • 1/2  15 oz. can of fat-free refried beans
  • 2 (10-ounce) cans enchilada sauce
  • 10 (6-inch) corn tortillas
  • 1 (2.25-ounce) can sliced black olives (drained)
  • 1 8 oz bag of shredded Mexican-blend cheese
  • lettuce "shreds"
  • reduced-fat sour cream
My ingredients. Clearly, someone loves Target :)

What to do:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Remove meat of chicken from bones (discard skin and bones) and shred; put in a medium sized bowl. Stir in beans, 1/2 the can of olives and 1 can of the enchilada sauce.


Chicken, bean, olive, enchilada sauce mixture
3. Spoon chicken mixture equally into center of tortillas, sprinkle a little cheese on top. Roll tortillas around filling and place, seam side down, in baking dish. Pour remaining can of enchilada sauce over enchiladas.


Ready to roll!
4. Sprinkle remaining olives and cheese evenly over enchiladas. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted. I fit nine enchiladas in my pan, I probably could have made ten.


Ready for the oven.

5. Garnish with lettuce shreds and sour cream and enjoy!


So delicious!

Full Text of Recipe:


Rotisserie Chicken Enchiladas


adapted from Tasteofhome.com

Ingredients

  • 1/2 chilled rotisserie chicken
  • 1/2  15 oz. can of fat-free refried beans
  • 2 (10-ounce) cans enchilada sauce
  • 10 (6-inch) corn tortillas
  • 1 (2.25-ounce) can sliced black olives (drained)
  • 1 8 oz bag of shredded Mexican-blend cheese
  • lettuce "shreds"
  • reduced-fat sour cream

Directions

  • Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
  • Remove meat of chicken from bones (discard skin and bones) and shred; put in a medium sized bowl. Stir in beans, 1/2 the can of olives and 1 can of the enchilada sauce.
  • Spoon chicken mixture equally into center of tortillas, sprinkle a little cheese on top. Roll tortillas around filling and place, seam side down, in baking dish. Pour remaining can of enchilada sauce over enchiladas.
  • Sprinkle remaining olives and cheese evenly over enchiladas. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted. Serve


If you end up trying this recipe, please let me know what you think! Joe loved it, I will definitely will be making it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment